From bears caught “dancing” in a viral video to Californians plagued with foot-eating bugs, there was no shortage of intriguing stories this week. Here are some of our favorite heartwarming and unusual stories from September 3-9 that helped make our days a little brighter — or at least more interesting:
1. Double rainbow over Buckingham Palace as Queen Elizabeth’s death is announced: On a rainy day in London, as the world learned of the passing of England’s longest reigning monarch, a brilliant double rainbow appeared outside Buckingham Palace.
A man looks on holding a Union Flag umbrella as a rainbow is seen outside Buckingham Palace on September 8, 2022 in London, England. Buckingham Palace issued a statement earlier today saying that Queen Elizabeth had been placed under medical supervision
2. Cats for pest control, dogs for cuddle bunches: Arizona Humane offers new interactive programs: Cats for pest control, dogs for cuddle groups. Arizona Humane offers new interactive programs that bring pets and potential adopters together for some bonding.
3. Real or fake? Photo of crocodile being dragged behind SUV on highway raises questionss: A photo of an alligator — believed to have been killed during a hunting trip — being pulled behind an SUV in Florida over the weekend began making the rounds on social media — dividing people and raising questions.
4. WATCH: Bears caught ‘dancing’ in driveway of home in viral video: Lou and Nancy Vinciguerra often see wildlife exploring the front of their home on their security camera – but these two bears put on quite an entertaining show!
5. Princeton University to cover all college costs for students from families earning less than $100K: Princeton University has announced a major expansion of its financial aid policy for students from families making less than $100,000 annually, meaning they will pay nothing for tuition, room and board.
FILE – Frist Campus Center, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey. (Photo by: Photographer Name/Education Images/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)
6. Californians plagued with foot-eating ‘mini-shark’ bugs: Beachgoers in Southern California are being targeted by swarms of small, aggressive sea bugs with an appetite for human feet.
People enjoy themselves on the beach of the Pacific Ocean in Half Moon Bay, California, United States on September 1, 2022, as the heat wave is expected in California this weekend. (Photo by Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)
7. Firefighters free cow with head stuck in tree: ‘Udderly ridiculous’: A cow in England found itself in quite the predicament: its head was stuck in the fork of a tree.
Photo: Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service
8. ‘Michael Myers’ spotted on the beach over Labor Day weekend: A man dressed as horror icon Michael Myers was spotted along a beach in Florida over Labor Day weekend.
Credit: Todd Brandon Easter
9. Sonar image appears to show ’50-foot megalodon’ shark near boat. That’s what it really was: An incredible sonar image of what researchers thought was a 50ft megalodon shark led them to believe the prehistoric beast of the sea had returned – until they realized what it really was.
Credit: Atlantic Shark Institute
10. Grandson and 92-year-old grandmother duo in search of every US national park: A DC man takes his 92-year-old grandmother Joy on the road trip of a lifetime. The two plan to visit every national park in the United States.